The overall goal of the Retired Members' Council is to improve the conditions of its membership and the membership of the Communications Workers of America (CWA); to pursue and further CWA labor programs; to disseminate information with respect to economic, social, political and other matters affecting the lives and welfare of its membership; to participate in educational, organizing, legislative, political, economic and community activities that advance and enhance the interests of its members and the CWA; and to advocate the enactment of laws beneficial to them and the defeat or repeal of laws detrimental to them.
To implement these objectives, the Retired Members' Council engages in the following activities:
- organize retired CWA members;
- participate in demonstrations through boycotts, picket lines, etc., in aid and support of CWA organizing efforts;
- publish a quarterly newsletter, Journeys, which disseminates information on the Councils' activities and other matters of concern to retirees;
- conduct annual membership meetings;
- participate in CWA conventions and conferences. As delegates to CWA convention, the Council Executive Board members have the right to vote in the election of the CWA President, Executive Vice President and Secretary-Treasurer.